Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sun Valley 1/2 Marathon


Sun Valley Half Marathon
Ketchum, Idaho  June 4, 2011
                                                                                
                                                                             
A look at my 2011 calendar kept reminding me that the Sun Valley Half Marathon was approaching fast. I had never run a half marathon, marathon, or long road run for a race. I prefer the trail runs or mountain hill climbs. I rarely run on the road, but do occasional runs on the local bike path to time accurate mileage. Otherwise, I prefer the softer grounds of trails, dirt, or grass assuming a level route.
Race Start/Finish
I had participated in a ski race event a week earlier and was now going to try a running race. The joys of spring offer a multitude of outdoor adventures in which to consume. It is certainly the time of year to mix your sports. I have been skiing, biking, and some running. A friend of mine was going to the race and said there was room in the car. I signed up a few days before the race, studied the course, and took the spot in the car. It looked like a fun race – a quick trip to Sun Valley, my first half marathon, no great expectations for a podium, and scenic location.
                                                                           
I had spent a short time preparing for this race with a few small and moderate size runs. I was mainly relying on strength from ski season. So, I knew it was going to offer new muscle groups a challenge. I had no real plans for a strategy except, ‘run a good race’. I knew there were ‘runners’ here and I was entering as a ‘ski mountaineer’. The race Start is at approximately 5,920 feet. The race course involved two small hill climbs, some rolling terrain, and a few straight sections.
                                              
Race Start, evening before race

            

Bald Mountain and Final Mile






              









Sun Valley is home to the world’s first chairlifts which were installed in 1936. Sun Valley is also home to Olympic Gold medalist Picabo Street. Bald Mountain looms over the Wood River Valley with snow and ski runs still very prevalent.
Race day dawned perfect and the start was great and allowed for plenty of time to prepare final adjustments. The pavilion at Sun Valley was full of smiles, runners, sunshine and people ready to race. The gun sounded and a new race had begun. I finished the course in a time of which was good enough for ninth place overall. I had a great visit to Sun Valley and hope to explore more of the surrounding trails and peaks in the near future.

Division award and Hydration

Relaxing after race
                                        












                                        




No comments:

Post a Comment